ComicLab Ep 50: Drilling Deep on Patreon
Cartoonists Dave Kellett and Brad Guigar are talking shop! Still reeling from an action-packed weekend at PatreCon, the guys are talking Patreon! For example — should you hide your Patreon numbers or display proudly how much you’re earning? And what do you do when a backer expects more than you’re offering? And how soon is too soon to launch your Patreon? Also — can a story-driven comic strip like “Bloom County” survive on the Web today? And the guys discuss which of their many projects have brought them the most joy.
BUT FIRST, before they drill deep on Patreon, Dave’s dentist does some drilling of his own — and gets an unexpected result!
- 00:00 — Dave’s trip to the dentist
- 04:00 — Do public-facing $$$ numbers cause Patreon patrons to drop because “you don’t need any more help”?
- 05:49 — The two approaches to Patreon — Exclusivity vs Support
- 10:30 — Dave insists that public-facing Patreon numbers should be hidden
- 17:40 — Making Dave blush is fun
- 19:17 — Can a story-driven comic (like “Bloom County”) do well on the Web today?
- 33:33 — Which project has brought you the most joy?
- 40:18 — What to do when a Patreon backer expects more than you’re offering
- 48:46 — Should you launch a new Patreon as soon as you start your new comic — or wait?
- 57:30 — Where should your priorities be in launching a new comic?