ComicLab Ep 108: Live by the platform; die by the platform
From YouTube’s new policy regarding Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) to SmackJeeves’ site-wide changes, the ComicLab guys realize that living by the platform can mean dying by the platform. Then they take delight in an ingenious plan to expose unscrupulous T-shirt vendors that use social-media comments to steal copyrighted illustrations. Next, Dave talks about how comics is a career you can build SAFELY. And, when a listener asks how to overcome their boredom over the drawing process, Brad shares a revelation. Then, Dave shares his social-media approach for Drive. And finally, a listener asks why Brad and Dave don’t license their archives’ print rights to foreign publishers.
But first, Brad tells about the worst whiskey sour ever.
Questions asked and topics covered…
- Dave’s new book
- Live by the platform, die by the platform
- The day the T-shirt bots died
- Cartooning is a career you can build safely
- When the writing is fun, but drawing is a chore
- Social media and longform comics
- Selling foreign rights to publishers
Listen to ComicLab on…